Sunday, September 21, 2008

Music Reborn

It’s been at least 5 years since I’ve picked up my violin. Five years ago I was first chair in my high school orchestra and I dreaded going to rehearsal. I felt like such a fake. I didn’t practice multiple hours a day so who was I to think I could actually play the violin? My technique was not where it should have been for someone who had been playing for seven years. I knew that. I also knew that I would never amount to any sort of musician. My fears and worries came to a boiling point when I visited a potential college in the spring semester of my senior year. I had a nervous breakdown before my audition for the music program, and I was so upset I didn’t even play my piece. After that I basically lost all passion for the violin, until last year.

Being in a community of artists at home has really sparked my need to play the violin again. Going to Pennsic and seeing other musicians who weren’t practice-crazed and worrying about their next concerto really gave me hope that I could play my violin and actually enjoy it! Pennsic gave me the inspiration to explore Arabic music, and it just so happened that I am able to take six hours of music courses here at AUC.

The first class I signed up for was the Arabic music ensemble, which of course had to be taken in conjunction with Arabic music theory. I feel like I am at a music workshop similar to what you would find at TribalCon or Triboriginal for four hours a week! My instructor, Dr. Wael has a PhD in sound engineering, plays the Qanoon professionally, and also is a professor at the Cairo Music Conservatory. He is very patient with us three Americans in his class and I feel that I am going to learn a lot. In addition to these classes, Dr. Wael invited us to rehearse with the AUC Arab Music Ensemble twice a week, which is comprised of other AUC students who play a variety of instruments Arab style. This ensemble also plays for the folkloric troupe, which I plan to join. ☺

So if these courses weren’t enough, I found that I could take private lessons through the University as a part of my course load…aka I don’t pay anything extra! I signed up for Qanoon lessons with Dr. Wael and lessons with the violin instructor, Dr. Munir. I met with Dr. Munir last week at the last minute, registering for the class the same day. I didn’t have my violin but we talked about what I would like to accomplish in my time here, and my past experiences with the violin. Dr. Munir is very serious about music; it’s his life. He received his PhD in music in Russia circa 1976 and also teaches at the Cairo Music Conservatory. For as intense as he seems to be, he also seems to be infinitely patient and willing to work with me. I have my first lesson with him this Tuesday, and while I am slightly terrified, part of me thinks this is for the better.

This past weekend my friend and I took a visit to Mohammed Ali Street to pick up a tabla for her, and castobans and rayesh for me (the finger tools needed to play the Qanoon). We bumped into Khamis Henkesh and his shop. I was a bit star stuck, so we jammed with him a bit on his multiple tablas he hand makes. I also met up with Dr. Munir to pick up the SCALE BOOK OF DEATH. I looked at the first page and I can barely do the first two measures – but this is a good thing, really. After gawking at the music in front of me, Dr. Munir then proceeded to give me his life story and how he used yoga to improve his violin technique and avoid carpel tunnel. He wants to challenge me in both the Eastern and Western style; we’ll see how far I can go…

6 comments:

Unknown said...

glad to see you are immersing well. felt a twinge of unease when i heard there were kidnappings, but then i remembered how tough of a chiqua you are. continue having fun lady and i look forward to more bits of adventure!
tym

Majda said...

Ya, the scary think was that we (as in most of the international students) didn't know until today because of lack of internet...

Jessica Brigham said...

I'm getting a bit serious as well, moj, especially after jamming so much at TribO. I'm looking into getting a davul...

Debbie Qaqish said...

How much is a quanon ging to cost me??

Your mama!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news!! *snaps*

Unknown said...

Glad to see you are having so many new experiences and are finding a new love for playing music. I have always thought that first hand knowledge of how to play/read music makes for a better dancer. I've started to pick up my flute more. I've missed it. Maybe you could teach me some Arabic music theory when you get back.