Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Musical Salons/ Jam Sessions in the ATL




Salam aleikum min el Qahira!

This past semester I’ve learned so much about Arabic music. I really don’t want to loose what I’ve learned, so I’d like to see if anyone in the Atlanta area is interested in coming to weekly music rehearsals/ jam sessions/ learning sessions about Arabic music. I would like to be able to share what I’ve learned so I can practice and not forget it! Any instrument would be welcome, just keep in mind that quartertones are harder to play on some instruments than others.

I have some sheet music from this semester in Cairo, but I’m open to learning things by ear as well, which is how it really is done. The sheet music is all in C as I play the violin, so any of you b flat player be prepared to transpose the music if you want to play it.

We could hold it at different locations in the Atlanta area or agree to have it at a central place. I don’t profess in any shape, form, or fashion to be an expert in Middle Eastern music, just a student who wants to grow her skills with en ensemble! I would like this to be very low key and fun and hopefully a way to grow a handful of students and musicians that appreciate and want to perform Middle Eastern music, especially so that when the big names come in town, we can really benefit from their instruction.

So, who is interested?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna step out on a limb here and say that Doug (and I) would be uber interested. His work schedule is rather unpredictable, but Sunday or Monday nights are a pretty steady good bet. You know that you're always welcome to bring the Duran DuJam to our casa, as well!

Laura said...

Well, I'm not a drummer.. I can barely play the basics, but I would love to learn more about it and of course HOW to do it professionally. Sunday nights are good for me too, generally.

Anonymous said...

My sister is studying with Ziah and she pointed me to this blog. I'm learning to play the dumbek and I'd be interested in this group. Can't promise anyone would actually LIKE my drumming, but I'm game to give it a go. Sunday nights are good for me, too.