Thursday, September 18, 2008

Taxis in Cairo

Taxis in Cairo are an adventure to say the least. My friends and I use them all the time to get form place to place when we don't feel like using the metro, or when we have missed the shuttles the school provides to Zamalek and City Stars, the local mall that is closest to us.
There are two types of taxis you can get in Cairo, a black and white cab and a yellow cab. Yellow cabs are usually a little nicer, and the drivers may speak some English. They work on a meter system, so you know how much you owe when you get to your destination, but be careful! These drivers rarely 'have change' - meaning they try to stiff you if you don't have exact cash. I've taken a yellow cab when I'm going to a new area, and it made me feel safer and my friends have used them for moving or going to the airport.

Yellow taxis however, are not for day to day. You have to order them at least an hour in advance, and they are a little on the expensive side. Now, if you want the real Cairo experience, get the black and white cab. A black and white cab is usually independently operated with 2 to 3 drivers sharing shifts on one cab. There is no air-conditioning, the doors on one side won't work, and you're in a better cab if it has side view mirrors and if the doors stay closed. There is an unwritten protocol to black and white cabs that you must follow:

1. Ask someone before hand how much your ride should be. Black and white taxis are not metered, but on a negotiable rate. I try to not tell them how much I will pay before I get in, but instead wait until we reach the destination, hand them the money, and walk away. I've had the occasional irate driver who wanted more because traffic was bad, or thought he could get more by taking the longer way.

2. Drivers will try to scam foreigners. If you ask how much before you get into the cab, they will try to over charge. Negotiate, settle on a price, and stick to that price. Drivers might complain about the traffic, the heat, or anything else to guilt you into paying more.

3. Practice your Arabic! I've found that trying to communicate in Arabic with the drivers means a better fare. I've also had my better conversations with the nicer drivers, and they appreciate your effort to speak Arabic. One of my favorite memories of Alexandria was when my friends and I piled into a cab and the driver blasted Amr Diab the whole way back to the hotel. He even let our male friend honk the horn to the beat of the music!

4. Girls should not sit in the front seat if it can be avoided, especially if you are wearing a skirt.

5. Do not pay the driver until everyone has gotten out of the cab. Hand money outside of the cab from the passenger's side, don't say anything, and leave. I've heard of drivers being so angry as to get out of the cab, grab someone on the shoulder and demand more money. Thankfully this has not happened to me yet, and I don't plan on it happening. Knowing how much you should pay really helps to avoid this, and if you are firm about your price, the driver won't make a scene.

6. NEVER get a cab straight out of a hotel. Most of the drivers here are 'contracted' by the hotel...meaning they will charge 5 times more what should be paid. My friends took a cab from one hotel to the other, less than 5 minutes, and paid 25 pounds. I pay 20 for a 30 minute cab ride from Heliopolis to Zamalek. Take a little walk down from your hotel and grab a taxi, it'll be cheaper and you'll have a nice stroll along the Nile!

Follow these simple rules, and getting around Cairo is very easy. The metro is super cheap - 1 pound aka 20 cents one way, but I haven't explored this option as much as the taxis. The metro does have women only carts. You can ride in the other carts, but I feel at ease in the women's carts (less stares and kissy noises) and they are usually much less crowded less stuffy.

1 comment:

k_co said...

The women-only cars also smell nicer (more perfume, less body odor) And you get to look at all their absolutely gorgeous head scarves – color, pattern, texture... I think if I wore one everyday I'd have one to match every purse. *swoon*