Sunday, September 14, 2008

Wust e-Balad

Last Saturday night my friends and I went to a concert near Khan el-Khalili. We were told that we were going to see an Arabic-Jazz fusion band. What we really saw was even better. The name of the band was Wust el-Beled, literally meaning downtown country or downtown and they were fanstastic! Their music is a blend of Western and other world influences with Arabic routes. They ar definitely a big deal in Egypt, as I bought their CD at the Virgin Mega Store the next day! One of their songs, Sidi Omar is a must to listen to.

When we got to the mosque, we weaved through alley ways and a souq to get to the venue, Dar el-Harawy - and we saw a HUGE crowd wedged into what was kind of make shirt outdoor concert venue. At some poine there were chairs and seating, but by the time we got there, everyone was standing on the chairs, children were dancing on top of cars, and people were watching from rooftops of buildings that surrounded the venue. My friends and I were able to wedge ourselves into a primo spot where we stood on chairs and watched the rest of the concert, which was free because of Ramadan.

This is one of the more magical moments I've experienced in Cairo. Finding the venue through a maze of a bazaar, dancing with an entire crowd of Egyptians, and listening to live music under a clear night sky and bright moon will be a memory of Cairo I won't forget.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm . . . added to my list of music to buy . . .

Jessica Brigham said...

Wow, your writing drags me right into the moment. I miss you Mojer!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Magic Majida Moments!!